Acidity foods All of us have suffered from acidity at some point in our lives. Either it is that extra gulab jamun at a family function or that spicy samosa during tea break. Whatever the reason may be, acidity can be quite an uncomfortable experience, and sometimes we are left with no option but to reach out for that bottle of antacid. But, did you know that there are alternative, natural remedies that work just as well and don’t leave you with the ill-effects of too much medication? Read about the new-age technique to relieve the symptoms of acidity.
An excess or imbalance of digestive acids produced by the stomach can cause a stomach ache, gas, nausea, bad breath and other symptoms. It is a common problem that affects people of all ages.
Those who suffer frequently from acidity problems may refer to having an “acid stomach.” Eating spicy foods, lack of exercise, irregular eating habits, stress, or drinking alcohol frequently can lead to acidity problems.
Some simple natural remedies can be used to treat stomach acidity. For instance, simply drinking one or two glasses of water will help flush out excess acid in your stomach.
Easy ways to cure acidity
Cure acidity and pain
We've all suffered from it at some point or the other. We share tips to cure acidity ...
Acidity occurs when there is excess secretion of acids in the gastric glands of the stomach. When the secretion is more than usual, we feel, what is commonly known as heartburn, which is normally triggered off by consumption of spicy foods.
Here are some home remedies to cure acidity.
- Skip the aerated drinks as well as the caffeine. Opt for herbal tea instead.
- Have a glass of lukewarm water everyday.
- Include banana, watermelon and cucumber in your daily diet. Watermelon juice is great for curing acidity.
- Nariyal paani is known to soothe the system if you suffer from acidity.
- Drink a glass of milk - everyday.
- Have your last meal at least two to three hours before you hit the sack.
- Keeping long intervals between meals is another cause for acidity. Have small but regular meals.
- Try to avoid pickles, spicy chutneys, vinegar, etc.
- Boil some mint leaves in water and have a glass of this after meals.
- Sucking on a piece of clove is another effective remedy.
- Jaggery, lemon, banana, almonds and yogurt are all known to give you instant relief from acidity.
- Excessive smoking and drinking will increase acidity, so cut down.
- Try chewing gum. The saliva generated helps move food through the esophagus, easing symptoms of heartburn.
- Ginger aids in digestion. Either buy powdered ginger in capsule forms or add the herb to your recipes.
- A simple preparation of lemon water with sugar can be sipped on an hour before lunch to reduce uneasiness.
- Have vegetables like drumsticks, beans, pumpkin, cabbage, carrot and spring onions.
Here treat acidity :
- Bananas: Are high in potassium which is an alkalizing mineral that has a high pH value. The higher the pH value, the lower the acidity, which is Bananaswhy the banana is a formidable antidote for acidity. They also have a component that makes the stomach lining produce more mucous. This mucous protects the inner lining of the stomach, reducing the damage caused due to acidity. It is high in fibre content, which helps speed along digestion thus reducing the further recurrence of acidity. To make this remedy even more effective try and eat overripe bananas during an attack of acidity. They have higher amounts of potassium making it even more effective. Read about the health benefits of bananas.
- Tulsi Tulsi: Has compounds that make it an effective digestive agent. It stimulates the stomach to produce more mucous and has potent anti-ulcer properties. It also reduces the effect of peptic acids in the stomach thereby preventing excessive acidity. They also reduce gas formation. Eat five to six basil leaves after your meal to get instant relief. Read about the health benefits of tulsi.
- Cold milk: Milk has a high amount of calcium that helps it prevent acid build up and absorbs the excess acid Glass of milkproduced thereby reducing the symptoms; the fact that it is cold also provides instant relief from the burning sensation one feels during acid reflux. It is essential that one has this cold and without any additives like sugar. Mix it with a spoon of ghee to make the remedy even more effective. Read about the health benefits of ghee.
- Saunf Saunf: Called fennel in English and popularly used as a mouth freshener, saunf has many hidden benefits. Among them are aiding digestion reliving constipation. Rich in volatile oils containing flavanoids, plamitic acid and many others, it is known to have very potent anti-ulcer properties (find out how you can deal with mouth ulcers naturally). Apart from that saunf acts as a coolant for the lining of the stomach helping it heal faster. In fact, this is why saunf is served after meals at restaurants. In case you’ve a sudden bout of acidity, boil a few seeds in water and leave overnight, drink this water when you feel uneasy.
- Jeera: It has properties that stimulate the production of saliva which helps in better digestion, improves Jeera metabolism and relieves gas and other gastric troubles (find out what you can do to boost your metabolism). In Ayurvedic traditions, it’s believed to have a calming effect on irritated stomach nerves and helps in healing ulcers formed due to acid secretion. One can either chew on it to relieve acidity or a better method is to boil it in water and drink the water when it has cooled down. Read about the health benefits of jeera.
- Cloves Clove: It is a natural carmitive and helps improve peristalisis (the movement of food down the stomach) and also increase the production of saliva. It has a pungent taste when bitten into, and the taste buds react to this taste and secrete excess saliva, which in turn aids digestion. In case you’re suffering from acidity, bite a clove once so that the juice is released and then keep it in the mouth. The slowly escaping juice will immediately lower acid reflux and give you some relief.
- Elaichi: In Ayurvedic traditions, cardamom is believed to be one food that balances all three doshas –Elaichi kapha, pitta and vata. It is known to stimulate digestion and relieve people of stomach spasms. It soothes the mucous lining of the stomach helping it ward off the effects of excess acid produced in the stomach. Due to its sweet taste and slight cooling effect it also relieves the burning sensation associated with acidity. To relieve acidity crush two pods of cardamom (with or without the skin), boil the powder in water and drink the cooled juice for instant relief.
- Mint leaves Mint leaves or pudina: These leaves have been used for ages as a mouth freshener and also for garnishing for various foods (read about the other ways to beat bad breath naturally)This humble leaf has amazing properties that make it just the medicine to treat acidity. It also lowers the acid content of the stomach and improves digestion. Plus its cool effect helps to reduce the pain and burning associated with acid reflux. If you feel an attack coming on chop some mint leaves, add them to a pot of boiling water and drink this water after it cools. Read about the health benefits of pudina.
- Ginger: A regular ingredient in most Indian households, ginger improves absorption and assimilation of Gingeressential nutrients and aids in digestion. It also helps break down the proteins in your food. Ginger protects your stomach against ulcers by promoting mucus secretion thereby reducing the effect of the acid on the stomach. You can chew a piece of ginger for relief. If you find that too pungent, you can try boiling it in water and drinking the decoction. Another remedy is to crush ginger, mix it with a small piece of jaggery and keeping sucking on it allowing the juice to slowly reach the stomach. Read about the health benefits of ginger.
- AmlaAmla: Is a kapha and pitta pacifier apart from having high amounts of vitamin C that helps in healing the injured stomach lining and oesophagus. Have one teaspoon of amla powder twice a day to help keep acidity way. Read about the health benefits of amla.
- So the next time you feel like you might suffer from a bout of acidity, ditch that bottle of antacid, and try some effective home remedies instead, after all they’ve been around for centuries.
Here treat acidity :
- Up to 95% of people who think they are suffering from too much stomach acid are actually suffering from insufficient stomach acid. These articles are excellent to explain how stomach acid works and how to prevent acid reflux permanently.
- Avoid eating fried, fatty, junk foods, and excessive chocolates.
- Avoid eating onions, citrus fruits, spicy foods, as they worsen the acid reflux or acidity disease.
- Eat carbohydrate rich food like rice, as they are easily digested and with no acid formation.
- Eat dinner two to three hours before sleeping time as it keeps you healthy.
- Eat small meals as it helps in digestion.
- Maintain adequate body weight it helps in acidity control
- Avoid eating protein-rich and calcium-rich foods like milk and diary products at night.
- Alcohol, caffeine should be a big no in your life for healthy living and acidity control.
- You are taking correct medicines for acidity or acid reflux problem. These medicines should be taken regularly for some time to reset the system and avoid further complications. But there are also herbal medicines to set whole digestive system and cure GIT problems smoothly and safely. G-Zyme Capsules for this digestive system related problems. Gas, acidity, heart burn, loss of appetite and disturbed stomach are all very well cured by this herbal medicine. These capsules are to support the digestion and increase appetite naturally. This herbal medicine stimulates digestive juices, pancreas and bile secretions.
- The secretions from these glands help in better digestion and absorption. It stimulates gastric and intestinal mucosa and helps in easy passage of food in GIT. It relieves the symptoms of abdominal fullness, acidity, pain and gas. Take light diets and avoid fast foods, spicy and spicy foods. Stop over eating and take sips of cold and sweet milk to get better results. We recommend you to use this herbal medicine for complete treatment of your digestion problems. We welcome your queries.
- You are taking correct medicines for acidity or acid reflux problem. These medicines should be taken regularly for some time to reset the system and avoid further complications. But there are also herbal medicines to set whole digestive system and cure GIT problems smoothly and safely. Gas, acidity, heart burn, loss of appetite and disturbed stomach are all very well cured by this herbal medicine. These capsules are to support the digestion and increase appetite naturally. This herbal medicine stimulates digestive juices, pancreas and bile secretions.
- The secretions from these glands help in better digestion and absorption. It stimulates gastric and intestinal mucosa and helps in easy passage of food in GIT. It relieves the symptoms of abdominal fullness, acidity, pain and gas. Take light diets and avoid fast foods, spicy and spicy foods. Stop over eating and take sips of cold and sweet milk to get better results. We recommend you to use this herbal medicine for complete treatment of your digestion problems.
If you frequently suffer from acidity, drink a glass of lukewarm water every day before going to sleep and immediately after waking up in the morning. Also, do not drink water during or immediately after a meal. It can lead to improper digestion that can contribute to acidity.
There are many more simple ingredients available in your kitchen or refrigerator that can be used to get relief from stomach acidity.
Here are top the home remedies for acidity.
The medicinal properties of basil leaves will give you instant relief from acidity, gas and nausea.
Simply eat some basil leaves thoroughly at the first sign of acid upset. Be sure to chew them thoroughly.
You can also boil three to five basil leaves in a cup of water for 15 minutes. You can sweeten this basil tea with honey. Do not add milk, though. Sip it frequently.
For those who suffer from acidity frequently, keep crushed and dried basil leaves handy which can be consumed (about one tablespoon) with water or tea for instant relief.
Cinnamon’s healing and anti-viral properties can also help you get rid of acidity. Plus, it works as a natural antacid and helps improve digestive health.
Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water.
Boil it for few minutes.
Drink this cinnamon tea two to three times a day.
You can also add cinnamon powder to your soup or salad to enjoy its medicinal properties.
Another simple home remedy for acidity is buttermilk. It contains lactic acid that normalizes the acidity in the stomach. You can buy buttermilk or make it yourself.
Grind half to one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds with a little water to make a paste. Mix it in a glass of buttermilk and consume it.
Add a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of buttermilk and let it sit for five minutes before drinking.
You can drink buttermilk several times a day until you get relief. Mix in a little black pepper or one tablespoon of coriander leaf juice for best results.
Apple Cider Vinegar
As it contains acetic acid, apple cider vinegar is good for various stomach problems including acidity. If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, you can use white vinegar.
Simply mix one or two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in half a cup of water and drink it.
Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with one teaspoon of honey and drink it before eating a spicy meal to avoid this problem.
Cloves can help alleviate acidity and dispel gas due to their carminative effect that increases hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Contrary to the popular belief, acidity can be caused due to low stomach acid too.
Chew two to three cloves thoroughly so that the juices are released into your system.
Eating crushed cloves and cardamom mixed in equal amounts can help minimize acid trouble and freshen bad breath that often accompanies this problem.
The high amount of potassium in jaggery helps maintain the balance of acids in your stomach. You can buy jaggery at most Indian or Asian ethnic grocery stores. After each meal, suck on a small piece of jaggery until acidity subsides. Because it is made from sugar, this remedy is not suitable for people who have diabetes.
The anti-inflammatory properties in ginger help treat acidity. Ginger juice can also neutralize stomach acids.
During acidity just chew a slice of fresh ginger.
You can also put some fresh ginger slices in a cup of boiling water, let it steep for a few minutes and then drink it.
Even a spoonful of ginger juice taken two to three times a day can provide relief from acidity.
Cumin seeds can also be used to treat acidity as cumin works as a great acid neutralizer. Also, it aids in digestion and relieves stomach pain.
Slightly crush some roasted cumin seeds and stir it into a glass of water. Drink it after every meal.
You can also boil one teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup of water, strain it and then drink the water after your meal.
Another option is to mix one teaspoon each of coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder, fennel seed powder and some sugar in one-half cup of water. Drink it on an empty stomach.
Aniseed helps aid digestion and thus provides relief from acidity.
Soak one teaspoon of aniseed in one cup of boiled water overnight. In the morning, strain the water, add a teaspoon of honey to it and sip it at least three times during the day.
You can also chew some aniseed after eating a heavy or spicy meal. Chew them thoroughly so that the juice from the aniseed can soothe your stomach.
Milk can help stabilize gastric acids in the stomach and give you relief from acidity. Milk is rich in calcium, which prevents build-up of stomach acid. Simply drink a glass of cold milk after your meal to prevent or soothe acidity problems.
Next time you suffer from acidity, try these remedies. If you do not get relief within a day or two, consult a doctor.
The acid solution that splashes up into the esophagus causes inflammation, irritation and scarring, which can narrow the circumference of the esophagus. Symptoms include hoarseness, food getting stuck, burning, irritation, nausea, coughing, wheezing, asthma symptoms and eroded tooth enamel. It also increases your odds of esophageal cancer.
Getting to the root of the problem is the most important step. People who are overweight or older tend to be affected more since abdominal fat interferes with esophagus function, and the esophageal sphincter, which prevents backsplash, weakens with age. And many of the best things in life can relax the sphincter, including chocolate, alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, and greasy, spicy and fatty foods.
But it’s not a hopeless situation. Here are some of the best natural home remedies to try for the occasional bout of acid reflux:
Drink two ounces of unprocessed aloe vera juice daily.
Start your day with a cup of warm water and fresh lemon juice. “By drinking this on an empty stomach 15 to 20 minutes before eating anything else, the body can naturally balance out its acid levels. It's a great digestive aid and is safe for all users,” says Rebekah Fedrowitz, an applied holistic nutritionist.
Try a tablespoon of baking soda in a half cup water not tasty but effective.
It’s great mixed with honey in tea or instead of lemon in tea. “Many people mistakenly believe all acid reflux and indigestion is caused by an overproduction of acid. The latest research shows it's actually the opposite for many people: There is too little acid produced to adequately digest the food eaten,” says Christina K. Major, holistic nutritionist and naturopathic doctor in Trevorton, Pa. Pickles, sauerkraut and other highly acidic foods also work well to help stimulate acid.
Eat a Red Delicious apple after problematic meals.
“Supplement with Saccharomyces boulardii, a probiotic strain specifically for the small intestine, to help optimize absorption of key vitamins for optimal digestive health,” says Stella Metsovas, author of “The 21 Day Digestive Health Detox.”
Take the herbal supplement slippery elm in capsule, powder or lozenge form, as it soothes the irritated tissues of the digestive tract.