Bitter gourd or Momordica charantia, member of the Cucurbitaceae family, is a functional vegetable well known in Asian countries. It is known for its culinary usage, health and medicinal properties. Though many of us do not like the taste or make faces at it (like me), this vegetable is filled with nutrients.
The green coloured, bitter tasting bitter gourd juice extracted from this gourd is called bitter gourd juice and is rich in vitamin C, K and B9 with minerals like potassium, zinc, phosphorus etc. The nutritional value of this juice makes it a natural and ideal remedy for people suffering from diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, obesity, skin issues etc.
This green coloured squash is a store house of antioxidants and essential nutrients and is used in vegetable curries, pickles, pills, juices, etc. Consuming a glass of bitter gourd juice everyday can do wonders to improve health and general well being of an individual.
Natural Amazing Benefits Of Bitter Gourd Juice TipsBitter Melon Juice
Bitter melon/ Balsam Pear/ Bitter Gourd
• 1 Bitter melon seedless, chopped
• Ice to taste
• Honey to taste
• Lemon to taste
How to Juicing:
Enter biter melon pieces and ice cubes into blender.
Stir until smooth and blended. When the ice cubes rather smooth, enter lemon juice and honey to suit your taste (to get around for the bitter taste of bitter melon covered with sweet honey and fresh lemon).
- Efficacy of bitter lemon is great for skin care if consumed.
- Especially for you who have acne, it would be better if you make and drink this concoction three times a week for maximum results.
- Bitter melon as a cure for diabetes (only for diabetics who are still in the stage of mild and healing is not dependent on insulin injections.) Typically, patients at this level still has a pancreas gland that can still produce the hormone insulin. Suspected substances that can lower blood sugar levels in this pare is a kind of glucoside, namely momordisin.
- Calcium levels bitter melon is also quite high, so as to increase production of beta cells in the pancreas to produce insulin. When sufficient insulin in the body then it is likely that flooding glucose levels can be prevented, so that blood sugar levels became normal or controlled.
- In some countries, mainly Japan, Korea and China, bitter melon is used for treatment. Young bitter melon is used as a diabetes medicine, digestive disorders, spirit drinks, stimulant laxatives and vomiting. Even the bitter melon has been extracted and packaged in capsules as a medicinal herb diabetes.
- Bitter melon contains beta-carotene levels are two times more than broccoli. Bitter melon also contains beta-carotene are very good to eradicate cancer cells, inhibits heart attack and overcome the infection because the virus.
- Other pare the efficacy of, the content of phytochemical compounds lutein and likopennya efficacious as anticancer, antibiotic, antiviral, stimulating production of insulin, which balances blood pressure and blood sugar levels, appetite stimulant and repellent intestinal worms.
- How to Make Bitter Gourd Juice?
- Firm, unripe green coloured bitter gourds should be selected for the purpose of making bitter gourd juice and should be stored under the right temperature to lower the rate at which they ripen. Ripe, yellow and orange coloured bitter melons should be avoided since they are too bitter for consumption. The selected gourds should be cleaned thoroughly under cold water and sliced, de-seeded and soaked in salt water at least for half an hour before preparing the juice to lessen the bitterness. These sliced pieces should be churned in a juicer and sieved to extract pure, healthy and fresh bitter gourd juice. This juice can be consumed raw or mixed with other ingredients like lime juice, onion juice, green apples, cucumber etc for creating natural remedies for treating various health issues.
Health Benefits of Bitter Gourd Juice:
This juice contains plant insulin called hypoglycaemic compound which helps to lower sugar levels in urine and blood, treats the problem of insulin resistance and regulates insulin levels in the body thereby treating diabetes.
Regular consumption of this drink improves stamina and energy levels of the individual and improves sleeping patterns.
The antioxidants present in this juice helps fight diseases and infections effectively, thus aids in strengthening the immunity system of the body and ensuring general health and well being of the individual.
Improves cardiac health:
The phytonutrients and antioxidants present in bitter gourd juice promotes cardiac and respiratory health of an individual, while also boosting the blood circulation throughout the body and effectively treating asthma, bronchitis, pharyngitis etc.
The antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of bitter gourd juice help to treat skin problems, blood disorders, clear toxins from the blood and purify it, and further improves blood circulation throughout the body. It helps to cure issues like itching caused by toxaemia, rashes, acne, psoriasis, blood boils and even inhibits the growth of cancerous cells in the body.
Betters digestive health:
This drink is a natural and effective detoxifier and clears the liver, stomach and blood of disease causing toxins and improves bowel and kidney conditions. It aids in treating stomach disorders, cholera, piles, toxaemia, relieving gout pain and alcohol intoxication etc.
Promotes weight loss:
Antioxidants present in bitter gourd juice detoxify the body, improve digestive health and metabolism, thus promote weight loss, treat obesity and inhibit accumulation of excess fat cells in the body.
Improves eye sight:
High levels of Vitamin A and beta carotene in bitter gourd juice aid in improving eyesight and treating eye problems naturally.
Although being a very healthy drink, bitter gourd juice should only be consumed in small quantity everyday as this drink may cause nausea and abdominal pains if consumed in high amounts. Pregnant women should avoid drinking too much bitter gourd juice as it has properties to stimulate the uterus and thus can cause pre-mature labour pains. Believed to be an ideal remedy for treating diabetes, this drink should however, be consumed on the doctor’s advice and directions by diabetic patients undergoing medication containing hypoglycaemic drugs since the dosage of the medicine will need to be changed in accordance with consumption of bitter gourd juice.
In the Reboot Kitchen: Green Bitter Melon Juice
Rating: 8 votes, average: 4.00 out of 58 votes, average: 4.00 out of 58 votes, average: 4.00 out of 58 votes, average: 4.00 out of 58 votes, average: 4.00 out of 5 (8 votes, average: 4.00 out of 5)
Login to rate this recipe - Not a member? Join Today
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1
- Serving Size: 16 -18 oz. (500 mls)
If you’re looking to lose weight, then you’ll want to make this juice. Bitter melon is an Asian vegetable that is commonly used as a bitter green in many Asian cuisines such as stir-fries, soups and stews, and it can also be made into smoothies and juices! Bitter melon may help reduce the incidence of insulin resistance and diabetes due to its ability to reduce elevated blood sugar levels. Studies also indicate that it may reduce the incidence of obesity and cancer. Due to its natural bitter taste it is beneficial for the digestion due to its ability to increase bile production. This vegetable has amazing health benefits that can’t be ignored, so make a juice with this wonderful weight loss vegetable!
This is not recommended during pregnancy as there are some concerns about its safety.
- 1 bitter melon
- 2-3 apples
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 cucumber
- 1 lemon, peeled
- Wash all ingredients.
- Cut the bitter melon in half longways– scoop out the seeds and white flesh with a spoon and juice
- the outer green of the bitter melon. If you want a demonstration you can YouTube it.
- Chop the rest of the ingredients to fit through the juicer.
- Add all ingredients through the juicer & enjoy!
- Note: If you find the bitterness too strong, simply add more fruit you will still enjoy the health benefits!
- Bitter melon – endive, arugula(rocket), spinach, chard(silverbeet), kale (Tuscan cabbage)
- Apple – orange, pear
- Celery – cucumber, zucchini
- Cucumber – celery, kale, zucchini
- Lemon – lime, yellow grapefruit
Bitter melon is highly nutritious, but you should not be given to children and pregnant women. Because children are still vulnerable to bitter melon, it is feared the child sugar levels will drop.
While pregnant women are advised not to consume pare because this fruit contains compounds that can abort the womb.
Although bitter melon is very good for lowering blood sugar, but its use must be considered especially if you're a diabetes who use drugs to control your blood sugar levels. Do not forget to monitor your blood sugar levels if you decide to use bitter melon as an additional control blood sugar levels. If you're in treatment with sugar medication, should consult your doctor before you use with your medication because bitter melon can cause your blood sugar levels fall dramatically if the use is too excessive.